If you’re required to wear certain clothes during work hours – whether that’s personalised workwear or more recognisable uniform, like a nurse’s tunic or police attire – and you cover your own costs for washing and small repairs, you could be entitled to £100s of tax for up to five years’ expenses.

Better yet, you can do this without consulting expensive firms or solicitors for help. Simply fill out a P87 form and do it yourself – for FREE.

Am I entitled to claim back my laundry costs?

There are a few requirements you’ll have to meet. We’ve outlined them below:

  • You must wear clothing which is recognisable as being a work uniform. This can be something as simple as a t shirt branded with your company’s name, a certain ‘dress code’ you must adhere to for work, and of course more recognisable uniforms like medical staff or the emergency services.
  • Your employer insists you wear the uniform during work hours or business activity.
  • You’re required to purchase, clean or replace it yourself. If you’re required to make small repairs (sewing on buttons, fixing zips – that kind of thing) that also counts.
  • You paid income tax in the year(s) you’re claiming back for.

One important thing to note is that if your employer washes your uniform, or provides the facilities to do so, or pays you for uniform maintenance – you’re not entitled to make a claim.

How do I claim uniform tax?

You can claim uniform tax for the previous five years, if you can prove you have been wearing a uniform that whole time. Simply fill in a P87 form on the direct.gov website here – and either submit it online or print it out and post the old fashioned way. You’ll need to fill out one form per EACH YEAR of your claim.

You’ll be asked to submit the following:

  • Employer’s name and address
  • Your occupation, job title and industry sector
  • Your National Insurance Number and PAYE reference
  • How you want to be paid – into your bank account or by cheque

Once your claim has been processed, you’ll receive a letter explaining how much you’re entitled to and when the money will be paid. Just bear in mind it could take up to five weeks to process a claim.

Once you’ve made a claim the first time around, it’s easier to claim again in future (although after the first claim your tax code should be adjusted to accommodate uniform tax). If it isn’t, simply call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

Uniform tax rebate – other points to note

Officers in the armed forces shouldn’t need to go through this process. If you’re in the armed forces, you tax code should already cover this.

Similarly, if you’re in the police force, some forces already claim uniform tax. Each force has their own arrangement, so best to check this before you go ahead.

The amount you’re entitled to depends on the industry you work in. However, after your first claim your tax code should be adjusted so you shouldn’t have to claim a second time.

Think you have a claim? Download a P87 form here and get started.