Did you know that you can claim tax back for work uniform. If you’re required to wear specific clothes during work hours – whether that’s personalised workwear or more recognisable uniform, like a nurse’s tunic or police attire – and you cover your own costs for washing and small repairs, you could be entitled to £100s of tax for up to five years’ expenses.

Better yet, you can do this without consulting expensive firms or solicitors for help. Simply fill out a P87 form and do it yourself – for free.

How do I claim uniform tax?

You can claim uniform tax for the previous five years, if you can prove you have been wearing a uniform that whole time. Simply fill in a P87 form on the direct.gov website – and either submit it online or print it out and post the old fashioned way. You’ll need to fill out one form per each year of your claim.

You’ll be asked to submit the following:

  • Employer’s name and address
  • Your occupation, job title and industry sector
  • Your National Insurance Number and PAYE reference
  • How you want to be paid – into your bank account or by cheque

Once your claim has been processed, you’ll receive a letter explaining how much you’re entitled to and when the money will be paid. Just bear in mind it could take up to five weeks to process a claim.

Once you’ve made a claim the first time around, your tax code should adjust automatically and save you from claiming manually the next time. If it hasn’t, simply call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

How much might I get back?

The amount you’re entitled to depends on the industry you work in.

The standard flat-rate allowance for uniform maintenance is £60; if you’re a basic-rate taxpayer, you can claim 20% of this (£12) back. Higher-rate payers can reclaim 40% (£24). Other occupations have more specific limits, such as ambulance staff, with a maximum of £185.

Am I entitled to claim back my laundry costs?

There are a few requirements you’ll have to meet. We’ve outlined them below:

  • You must wear clothing which is recognisable as being a work uniform. This can be something as simple as a t shirt branded with your company’s name, a certain ‘dress code’ you must adhere to for work, and of course more recognisable uniforms like medical staff or the emergency services.
  • Your employer requires you to wear the uniform during work hours or business activity.
  • You’re required to purchase, clean or replace it yourself. If you’re required to make small repairs (sewing on buttons, fixing zips – that kind of thing) that also counts.
  • You paid income tax in the year(s) you’re claiming back for.

It is important to note that this does not apply if your employer washes your kit, provides the facilities to do so, or pays for this maintenance.

If you’re in the police force, check your specific force’s arrangements.

If you’re self-employed, you should claim uniform and laundry expenses when filling in your self-assessment tax return.

Think you have a claim? Download a P87 form here and get started.

Make use of this perk by ordering your own range of custom uniform and get in touch with our team today.